On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:40:38 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:

>I am working on a problem where I have a loadable table. So far I
>have specified NOREUS, OL (Load Only).
>
>In my hazy memory going back into the '70s, I thought there was a
>way to mark a module NX (not executable) without having to
>specify an unresolvable reference while not using LET.
>
>What I am trying to do is prevent some HLL from being used to
>call this table (because they finger checked on the module name)
>and passing control to it.

If you LOAD it you get an address.  If you have an address you can
branch to it.

Some hardware, not z AFAIK, has segment protection that can mark
an area readable but not executable or executable but not readable.
But then, what about literals?  And what about dumps?  One
motivation was to protect intellectual property by prohibiting copying.

-- gil