>From the Processing a Sequential Data Set chapter of my DFSMS Using Data
Sets manual (admittedly z/OS 1.11):

"The number of data sets that you can concatenate with sequential
concatenation is variable. It is
governed by the maximum size of the TIOT option. The system programmer
controls the TIOT size with the option ALLOCxx member of SYS1.PARMLIB. The
smallest TIOT value allows 819 single-unit DD statements or 64 DD statements
having the maximum number of units."  (I could not find a reference that
defines the term "unit."  It is does not appear to be extents since 64
datasets with 15 extents each comes to 960 total extents.)

>From the Processing a Partitioned Data Set (PDS) chapter of the same manual:

"There is a limit to how many DD statements are allowed in a partitioned
concatenation. Add together the number of PDS extents, the number of PDSEs,
and the number of UNIX directories in the concatenation. The sum cannot
exceed 255. For example, you can concatenate 15 PDSs of 16 extents each with
8 PDSEs and 7 UNIX directories ((15 x 16) + 8 + 7 = 255 extents)."  (So each
PDS extent counts as one while each PDSE and UNIX directory counts as only
one regardless of the number of extents.)

I would expect the current manuals to have similar details.