Hi Ed,

Regarding "Letting IBM off with variations is nonsense.", I choose to think of
it as being pragmatic.  I can complain all day about how IBM's reduction of
staff is hurting the mainframe, but the fact is that they are doing it despite
anything I might say or do.  Believe me that putting people to work on
implementing "/" and "*/" in each parmlib member is NOT going to make it into
the line items for a new release with higher priority work and reduced staff
size.

Before I wrote up the requirements, I did a thorough study of the Parmlib
members and found that about half allow '*' in the first position.  Because
different departments work on each Parmlib member, I had to write up a separate
requirement for each one, and it would have taken years (if ever) to get them
all changed.  Then Peter Relson, who wears many hats and is trusted by everyone
in IBM, offered to do all the coding if he could implement the '*' version
because, obviously, it's the least amount of coding (if a = '*' then bypass).
I said that it would meet my requirements, the MVSE Requirements committee
agreed, and he had it done a week later.  If we had forced IBM to do it the
"right way", it wouldn't be done today.  At least now there is an option to put
comments in the Parmlib members that didn't have them.

And as my first email suggested, I think it would make a lot of sense for
people to add a comment box at the top of every Parmlib member that includes
not only an example of comments, but provides a place to put comments.  You can
save newbies a lot of trouble (and down time) in the future.

I think this is just one of many compromises that we'll need to make with a
reduced IBM staff, but I'd rather work within the system and get some things
accomplished.  (I could only wish our political parties could do the same.)  ;-)

All my best,
Cheryl