On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Scott Ford <idfzos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
​Sounds pretty decent to me. I might do it slightly differently.

1) FTP the new loadlib to z/OS with a new name (say SOME.PDS.LOADLIB.NEW)
2) FTP a z/OS job which does two things:
    2a) Issues a F MODIFY,stcname,STOP (or whatever)
    2b) submits a new job.
3) The job submitted by the the FTP'd job does:
    Job 3 step 1 - IDCAMS to delete SOME.PDS.LOADLIB.OLD,
                                          rename SOME.PDS.LOADLIB to
SOME.PDS.LOADLIB.OLD
                                          rename SOME.PDS.LOADLIB.NEW to
SOME.PDS.LOADLIB
    Job 3 step 2 - IEFBR14 allocation SOME.PDS.LOADLIB with DISP=OLD to
stop job from running until STC shuts down (enq conflict)
    job 3 step 3 - issue S STC to restart the STC - however it is you issue
z/OS commands within a z/OS jobstream
                        But not with a /*$VS,'S STC' in the job's JCL since
that runs too soon

This avoids your step #2 of "wait for the STC to terminate" because the job
mentioned in my step 3 won't really start until the STC is down. I think
this would be easier to accomplish since you can't really "wait until STC
is down" in some manner without some outside (non z/OS standard) software.​

--
Unix: Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it
once. -- Karl Lehenbauer

Maranatha! <><
John McKown