We just upgraded from z/OS 1.13 to z/OS 2.2 and I'm experimenting with using
symbols in in-stream data.  Here is some JCL:

//SYMBTST1 JOB ,'SYMBOLS TESTING',NOTIFY=&SYSUID
//         EXPORT SYMLIST=SYM1
//         SET SYM1='THIS IS A TEST'
//         SET COPYPGM=IEBGENER
//COPY     EXEC PGM=&COPYPGM
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
//SYSUT1   DD *,SYMBOLS=(EXECSYS,SYMBLOG)
SYM1 = "&SYM1"
&&SYM1 = "&SYM1"
SYSNAME = &SYSNAME
&&SYSNAME = &SYSNAME
TOM&JERRY
/*
//SYSUT2   DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYMBLOG  DD SYSOUT=*

The output is as follows:

SYM1 = "THIS IS A TEST"
&&SYM1 = "THIS IS A TEST"
SYSNAME = ZOSD
&&SYSNAME = ZOSD
TOM&JERRY

I expected the double ampersands to be squeezed in to a single ampersand, but
that did not happen.  Is this behavior documented?  Is there any way to display
the text of SYSNAME with a single ampersand prefix?

Maybe this isn't a real enough situation to matter, but it seems odd to me.

Frank