From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jack J. Woehr
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:40 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Corporate lawsuit exposure Was: k4t4949b (September
2016 refresh of the z/OS 2.2 manuals)

Joel C. Ewing wrote:
> Unfortunately in a large corporate environment you may have a large
> number of users with access to workstations who are not sophisticated
> enough to understand software licensing distinctions.

My experience in Fortune 100 Land is that these policies readily transmute
themselves into tools for maintaining the status quo and shielding the
incompetent rather than protecting the institution or the customers.

My suggestion is that institutions create trained cadres of Open Source
Officers (OSO, The Bear) and have one in each technical dep't. empowere to
approve/disapprovite in a timely fashion all requests to install specific open
source packages.

If the glasshouse doesn't get a shovel handy, it's going to suffocate under its
own mountain of bullfeathers. When I was younger and studying Roman history, I
could understand the Roman Republic and the early Empire, but found the
Byzantine Era impenetrable. At this point in my life, I understand the
Byzantine Era much better than I did before!

--
Jack J. Woehr     # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe