I had some vague idea that on z/OS, the Resolver can use some or all of:

1.     DNS

2.     Its own configuration data sets, via GLOBALIPNODES statements

3.     /etc/hosts

I just spent some time looking at IBM doc, and what I found seems to support
this. What I couldn't seem to grok was whether you can control the *order* in
which the three are used: that is, can you say "OK, we use the DNS server at
this IP, but we want to look in /etc/hosts *first*"? There's lots of discussion
of the "search order", but nothing that clearly indicated (to me, at least)
that you could control the *order*. It does look to me like you could specify
/etc/hosts on a GLOBALIPNODES statement, but that isn't quite what I mean.

What I'm really looking for is a way for a user-possibly a sysprog-to define or
override a hostname-to-IP mapping to test something. We keep coming across
customer systems that don't have a DNS entry for a server that uses SSL (TLS),
and getting a DNS update requires an act of Congress, so we wind up waiting.
Some of them know they can't update /etc/hosts, but if they can, it doesn't
always seem to take effect.

I see lots of ways (for example, in this marathon post by Chris Mason:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/bit.listserv.ibm-main/2006-05/msg00727.html)
 that a name can get resolved. And I found COMMONSEARCH/NOCOMMONSEARCH, which
at least explain differences between POSIX-land and batch jobs, but Chris's
list of 13 paths mostly just raises more questions.

And I realize that the answer may be "it depends", based on which of the 13 are
configured currently. Ideally, there would be a foolproof way for a user to
mess themselves up when they wanted to. Is this a pipe dream? I can imagine
that it might not make sense-it certainly doesn't most of the time!-but it sure
would be a handy technique if 'twere available.
--
...phsiii