>And what the ECB contains is puzzling to me. Why would my WAIT
>get posted, if the task in question had not finished?

It would not. It could not, unless you posted it yourself.
If you're saying that you looked at the ECB after the POST and at that
time it contains an RB address then either the ECB was not POSTed (and you
did not wake up because of the POST but because of something else) or
something else has subsequently waited on it.

>The ATTACHX is done, then in a bit, the WAIT on the named ECB is
>done, immediately followed by a CALLDISP (NON-APF) to ensure that
>the sub task has "terminated" so that the DETACH doesn't take an
>ABEND (which I've had that happen as well).

I don't believe that. The CALLDISP cannot be useful let alone necessary.
DETACH will not abend at any point after the POST has occurred unless, I
suppose, you are issuing it a second time.
The POST is done out of an internal call to DETACH after termination has
completed. When ECB (or ETXR) is used on the ATTACH(X), free-ing of the
TCB itself and de-chaining it from the TCB queues is not done until your
DETACH.

>It may or may not need to be APF authorized.

APF authorization is not relevant to the discussion. That may affect the
result of the target task (success or failure) and thus the completion
code of the POST, but not when the ECB is posted.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design