General answer:

I was trying to do some diagnostics to determine the common point of failure.

Well, just a few minutes ago, here on my home Linux systems, I was able to get to IBM.com and then directly into "Ibmlink".

So now I have a circumvention.

------
Addressing Ping:

Ping, as a diagnostic, first puts out the resolution of the name given to it. If it can't resolve that, you know you have some kind of DNS issue. If it can resolve it, but can't get a response, you have a different problem.

And generally, I've found that these sites/pages do respond to ping as IBM apparently realizes that some of us use this to figure out if we have a problem.

But you are right, in my experience, not all of IBM's addresses respond to ping.

------

Regards,
Steve Thompson