From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of R.S.
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:48 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: TIME= on JOB card vs. EXEC card

W dniu 2016-10-25 o 04:55, Jesse 1 Robinson pisze:
> OK, consider this case. All defaults, no TIME= coded anywhere. JES2 parms
> have TIME=3. Five steps. How long will the job run?

Answer: it depends.
First: we talk about CPU time, not "wall clock" time.
Second: we know there is a limit 3 minutes for whole job. Maybe each step
consume 2 seconds, then 2x5steps = 10s CPU.
Assumed first step consumed 30s the limit for the rest of the job is (2,30).
Assumed second step consumed 10s, the limit for the remaining steps is (2,20),
etc.

Geeneral rules:
TIME=value coded in JOB can only DECREASE default value.
TIME=NOLIMIT or TIME=1440 in JOB card INCREASE the default to infinity (no time
limit)

TIME coded in EXEC can INCREASE or DECREASE default value.
TIME=NOLIMIT or TIME=1440 in EXEC card INCREASE the default to infinity (no
time limit)

When coded both JOB and EXEC, the most restrictive value is in effect.

Examples (for one-step job):
jobclass ; JOBcard ; EXEC ; effective
60          ; none      ; none ; 60
60          ; none      ; 10     ; 10
60          ; 70          ; none ; 60     - job value ignored
60          ; 20          ; none ; 20     - job value decreased default
60          ; 20          ; 10     ; 10     - most restrictive from
(job, exec)
60          ; 20          ; 90     ; 20     - most restrictive from
(job, exec)
60          ; none      ; 90     ; 90     - increased
60          ; 50          ; 1440 ; 50     - most restrictive from (job,
exec)
60          ; 1440     ; none  ; NOLIMIT
60          ; none     ; 1440  ; NOLIMIT

Rule of thumb: KISS!
Keep It Simple!

Don't code TIME in both JOB and EXEC
Be generous when setting default values. In case of TIME exhaustion abend the
most common scenario is to repeat the job with (hopefully!) bigger time limit.
So, setting time default small is a waste of time! ;-)

HTH

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

---
Tre tej wiadomoci moe zawiera informacje prawnie chronione Banku
przeznaczone wycznie do uytku subowego adresata. Odbiorc moe by jedynie
jej adresat z wyczeniem dostpu osób trzecich. Jeeli nie jeste adresatem
niniejszej wiadomoci lub pracownikiem upowanionym do jej przekazania
adresatowi, informujemy, e jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie
lub inne dziaanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i moe by
karalne. Jeeli otrzymae t wiadomo omykowo, prosimy niezwocznie
zawiadomi nadawc wysyajc odpowied oraz trwale usun t wiadomo
wczajc w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is
intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be
received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you
are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to
forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying,
distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be
punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender
immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete
permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to
hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzib w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa,
http://secure-web.cisco.com/1XhGrmetHLO9M1ggjBw161tA19oX0d7sQHzG-5ETRvY2DIDklDQo15AZbOpa7n4RGMW2JvnO5BgjwD6y_JjXWO11xlViSw-4QbeQXAWLta-WG052OLzgFjTZFt1QCY_kWRbi6KLtGtPFpjxSen-l-W9NQivgvh5cNsM20sW6woUo0euyvFuWVpxyeYvEPoqkQ8TZw0MVw7fu6QP8EpOxY8FKROyoYcne1Zuf9N1sbsRa81jQySZgO3n7dPXwh5l3ji9scsMLfEsQbYACly2252MkN0BYaHa2Fvwgb6eZr9d9XnkQwKXHGm_qH3L1LWkSttCWudHLiI-gRA0Id2Htxd65sNkbflur1ubIghp1vAR5sl7vomow4sgA1Nzk5M6iN/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mBank.pl%2C%20e-mail%3A%20kontakt%40mBank.pl
Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru
Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88.
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2016 r. kapita zakadowy mBanku S.A. (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 168.955.696 zotych.

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address.
Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly
by receipt of this email.