On 2016-10-26, at 09:22, Pew, Curtis G wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 9:17 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like this is slightly bleeding edge. I think I will try to sync my
>> "code management" processes (C versus HLASM) a little more closely together
>> but continue to keep HLASM source and object in a PDSE.

A mischievous programmer wishing to invalidate depending on PDS(E)
might craft #include with such as:
o member names with multiple unconventional filename extensions.
o long filenames.
o case sensitive filenames.
o multi-evel directory paths.

In fact, how does C/C++ in the JCL environment deal with such as
"#include <sys.wombat.h>"?

> I’ll just throw out what I do. I keep the source in HFS (but not object;
> that’s still in a PDSE) and use OCOPY to put it in a temporary dataset for
> the assembler. ...

What's the benefit in keeping the object in a PDSE?  Binder is
competent with UNIX files.  I dynalloc various UNIX directories
with generated DDNAMES then filter SYSLIN to such as:
  CASE MIXED
  INCLUDE SYS00011(foobar.o)
  INCLUDE SYS00012(wombat.o)
(The unfiltered SYSLIN becomes SMP/E JCLIN.)

It remains a PITA that Binder doesn't support UNIX directories in
a SYSLIB concatenation, but a boon that Binder (unlike HLASM)
does not support explicit DDNAME specification on copybook
members.

What's the benefit in OCOPY rather than just allocating UNIX
files/directories to SYSIN/SYSLIB?  (But I understand that ISPF
does something similar to create temporary SYSLIBs.)  We use an
IBM product. CM Synergy, that creates volatile directories of
symbolic links to selected member-versions rather than copying
the member bodies.

On 2016-10-26, at 00:59, John McKown wrote:

> ​... One thing which made this much easier
> was FLOWASM ( ftp://ftp.phoenixsoftware.com/pub/demo/asmmods.xmi ), ref:
> http://planetmvs.com/hlasm/tips.html . FLOWASM​
>
> ​is an HLASM user exit program for reading the SYSIN & SYSLIB​. It makes
> HLASM "free format". Quite nice! This was a case of "eating your own dog
> food" because I was developing some UNIX utilities.
>
> If you're curious, these are available on the CBTTape.org site, in file
> #864 http://cbttape.org/cbtdowns.htm

This doesn't fit our current cross-assembler process well, but
thank you for doing this.

Formerly, we used those exits (but not FLOWASM).  How do you deal with
nested COPY instructions?  With persent-day resources opening multiple
file handles seems more sensible than replacing the NOTE-POINT shell
game with similar ftell(); fseek().  And I mentioned earler that I had
to get PTF fixes for problems (not using the exits) with nested COPY
instructions in a SYSLIB of mixed UNIX and PDS directories.

-- gil