From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2016 4:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Question on TZ and European time change

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Peter Hunkeler <p...@gmx.ch> wrote:

<snip>

> And from the same description you can see that the actual strings
> being used to name the standard and the DST periods (CET and CEST in
> the example
> above) have no meaning to the system. You can set them to anything you
> want without influencing the behaviour.
>

> The strings are only meant to show something meaningful to users.
>

> The first string is mandatory. The second string, in addition to be
> meant for the user, is also a flag to tell the system to apply DST
> according to the standard rules (mentione above), or by the rules specified.
>

> So, with
>

> TZ=WINTER-1SUMMER,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/3:00
> date '%a %b %e %T %Z %Y'
>

> will display
> Fr Nov 4 08:26:17 WINTER 2016
> today, but had displayed
> Fr Oct 28 08:26:17 SUMMER 2016
> last week.
>

> --Peter Hunkeler

​Another indication that, at least at the time this was done, IBM was not
overly concerned with making z/OS UNIX be acceptable to the "real" UNIX
community. They just wanted to stamp "POSIX compliant" on z/OS for marketing
purposes. ​Aside: I really appreciate what Mr. Schoen of IBM has done to help
make z/OS UNIX more useful (bpxwunix & bpxwdyn come to mind).