On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 08:35:19 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Charles Mills wrote:
>>
>> @John, is that true? This is a "mainframe" behavior, not a UNIX behavior?
>
>Well, I'll be dipped in <something unpleasant>. I just tested this on Linux
>and it works the same way as on z/OS (incorrectly, IMO). But if, on Linux,
>you use the "Olson" format for TZ (z/OS doesn't support this), you get the
>correct answer.

Linux, Solaris, OS X, ... implement the "Olson" format (I believe that's
ICANN TZDATA) as a compatible extension to POSIX.

And Olson gives correct results for USA prior to 2006; POSIX doesn't.

I once went to SR on the absurd behavior that if TZ is unset it results
in UTC rather than a configurable local time.  Rejected; otherwise
would be incompatible with AIX.

-- gil