As usual, some pc based person only thinks of the way their world works.

I have been though multiple audits at multiple companies where they accepted that: 1) System programmers had two logons. One "normal" and one "higher". The "normal" userid still had some privileged access, but nothing like the "higher" userid which had basically unlimited access. 2) Additional audit trails were created for the "higher" userid. Both that fact that they logged on and what they did. 3) The systems programmers split their libraries and work processes so that they only used the "higher" userid when really necessary.

The fact was that we had to negotiate what was considered "daily" work and what was considered "special" work. This took a bit of time and was refined over time. A lot of the decisions revolved around READ-ONLY vs UPDATE rights on many of the libraries.

Also, the security rules were different depending on which LPAR or Guest we were logged on to. Our normal userid could do everything on the systems programmer test LPAR. On the Development LPAR, it could do most everything. Our real limits were on the production LPARs.

That being said, I think you are going to have to also go down the same road where you split your work processes and libraries into normal daily stuff and "special" stuff. It will take you a while to get into the mindset, but in the end you will find that it worth it. It will take a lot of negotiating, but it

Since the first place where I was forced into this arrangement, I have implemented it at other locations. Yes, the systems programmers thought it was terrible at first, but once they got used to it, they realized that it sometimes saved their bacon. (Think "SHUTDOWN" under VM!) They had to learn to think: Which hat am I wearing right now? A limited systems programmer hat or the mainframe "god" hat.

If you get your workloads split correctly, you may not need to use a vaulted userid as often.

Tony Thigpen