On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 10:56:40AM -0600, John McKown wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Not to mention all the keystroke changes with every version of M$
> > windows shell and software products.  MVS and Linux usually don't
> > change these.
> >

> Being near perfect means not needing to change often. [grin].​
>
> ​Which makes me hate some of the stuff going on with Linux (re: systemd).
> On another forum, a poster basically asked why BASH could not be enhanced
> to do everything that GNU makes does in order to "increase its desirability
> and market share".​ I wanted to slap him.

This cannot be truth. I mean why only slap him. [description of
alternative treatment via dismembering and hungry dogs deleted]

But seriously, I would have advised him all his wishes can be made
into reality. All he needs is writing his own read-eval-print loop in
bash. You need to make this point very clear: this is just what he is
able to do, all by himself. If he believes it and starts following the
advice, he will be busy for a long time and the world-as-we-know will
be safe. If he wants starting point, tell him to look into Forth
interpreter in bash. Once he adapts Forth to his needs, he can have
pretty much anything else in it (sure, this is not very capable Forth
dialect from what I have seen, but seems like excellent tool for
building custom repl).

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola