Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

>Most standard utilities fail when opened to V(B)S records.

Please name them. Just so I can shock my amazed users when they complain about
reading VBS things...

>Only IFASMFDP can read SMF data, and the output from that is ordinary VB.

Really? What about DFSORT and its friend ICETOOL? (Shhhhhhhh about RACF Report
Writer, because that thing is 'functionally stabilized' some centuries ago... )

I posted a ICETOOL JCL example in IBM-MAIN which reads raw SMF data type 89.

Also look at thread 'Re: DFSORT - ICETOOL - Search for text and replace with
date' in Sept 2016 where I wrote that ICETOOL can read in raw SMF data.

You can write any program reading VBS data. I wrote in IBM-MAIN about analysing
SMF 30 using a home grown Assembler program.

Oh, zSecure can do that trick too and do that *fast*.

>SAPI should be able to handle any spool data set.

Yip! This is where SAPI is useful!

>OTOH I've never coded anything for SAPI; we use VPS (Levi, Ray, Shoup) to
>extract spool data and ship it to network printers.

That is if you give VPS ALTER access to the spool contents. I don't like it,
but ...

>Likewise, SDSF or equivalent ISV product can handle spool data sets whether
>created as V or F.

As long you re-assemble exits for third party products to read the spool data
using the latest JES2 macros. For SDSF or other IBM spool reading products like
SMTP or cs-smtp, everything is ready for reading JES2 spool.

>SDSF now has a Rexx interface that makes it very usable for processing spool
>files.

Hmmm, something for me to RTFM, it may comes in handy for some nefarious spool
grabbing... ;-D

>FWIW it was once possible to utilize JES2 interfaces to read spool data sets
>directly. That ability evaporated a long, long time ago.

Oh, yes. TSPRINT (now OMCPRINT) could do that. These JES2 changes gave some
third party vendors real grey hairs while trying to comply to new JES2
interfaces and macros. For that, I'm gratefully glad I'm not part of "them"...
;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht