On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 09:15:37 -0600, David Magee <david.ma...@dillards.com>
wrote:

>The last time I looked into doing that we had problems because certain
>scenarios were not supported using the >integrated translator during the
>compile step.  EXCI applications are what come to mind off the top of my head.
>Have all >the restrictions been lifted at this point? If so, at what levels of
>COBOL and CICS T/S?

The following Technote says that you can Compile an EXCI COBOL program with the
Integrated Translator and it should run OK.  You will get an informational
Compile message saying it's not supported, but it should Compile and run
correctly.

My main beef with the Integrated Translator is that it does not support Batch
IMS (EXEC DLI) programs the same way the separate Translator does.  The
Integrated Translator always assumes your programs contain EXEC CICS commands
and forces NODYNAM and RENT Compiler options on.  Normally our Batch programs
are Compiled with DYNAM and NORENT.  It's possible that despite the initial
overhead, there may be some benefit to using RENT for Batch COBOL programs on
modern hardware.  I have not tried to measure the difference yet.  So we could
probably live with RENT.  NODYNAM would be a problem though since most of the
programs use "Call 'program'" static calls so they would all have to be changed
to dynamic calls to use the Integrated Translator.  I only have access to
Enterprise COBOL V4.2, but I don't believe it has changed for V5 or V6 of
Enterprise COBOL.

Lizette, I believe the Integrated Translator, (EXEC CICS, EXEC DLI),  and the
Integrated PreCompiler (EXEC SQL) were added in Enterprise COBOL V3.1 and
enhanced with several releases after that.

--
Dale R. Smith