On 13/01/2017 5:21 PM, Timothy Sipples wrote:
David Crayford asked:
Are CICS customers allowed to run WLP outside of CICS?
I'm not sure, but does it matter? If desired, Liberty can be in a
completely separate, standalone CICS region. As it happens, Liberty within
CICS supports CICS transaction and resource security, and that's quite
special.

Unfortunately it does matter. We can ship an install job and have a web server up and running in minutes. If we need to rely
on a CICS sysprog to install a system with WLP it's a POC obstacle.

If it does matter, and if your customers don't already have WAS for z/OS
licenses, then "ask your friendly IBM representative" about standalone
Liberty for z/OS OEM licensing. It at least can't hurt. The term of art is
an "IBM Embedded Solution Agreement" (ESA):

https://www-356.ibm.com/partnerworld/wps/servlet/ContentHandler/pw_com_sol-embedded-solution-agreement

Interesting! Thanks for the link. Is there a cost associated with ESA?

By the way, there are many Liberty z/OS affinities besides the simple one
you describe. Examples include z/OS operator commands, SMF logging (such as
writing SMF records for HTTP requests), the z/OS Optimized Local Adapters,
z/OS RRS transaction management, and WLM support.

All good stuff but most of it we don't need. Operator commands and SMF logging are trivial to implement in Java using JZOS when you have
the source code for the server.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com