This problem hits close to the heart of IBM-Main. I discovered a while back
that a new email address could not successfully be registered from within the
company network. This might be for a new person or for someone whose email
address had changed. After considerable frustration, I learned that the
IBM-Main confirmation email sent to a new registrant has a blank 'From' tag.
Not structurally invalid, not unregistered. Empty.

I assume that it had always been thus, but we hadn't tried to register a new
email address in quite some time. Meanwhile our email nannies had implemented a
new 'security' measure to reject any email that did not specify a From id. The
sender is not verified AFAIK; there just has to be one. The argument is that
this one action filters out a lot of true spam. So the confirmation email from
IBM-Main looks like spam and is deleted without notice to the recipient. I take
it that this is standard List server software behavior. I cannot imagine a
business justification for it, but it requires that any new IBM-Main (or
RACF-L) user ask for manual intervention from the List owner to add the user by
hand.

We are not a giant company, but we have several thousand email users. The idea
of asking for an exemption for a literal handful of affected users is daunting,
especially because the problem could be solved by a simple software change on
the List server.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson