Paul Gilmartin wrote:
<snip>

You're suggesting that a transcript or summary of those discussions
is available.  Can you cite?  Thanks.

<snip>

I suggested neither one, so I am a bit puzzled about how you inferred that. What I wrote was, "In fact, there was a protracted discussion right here in IBM-MAIN about how we should implement this support, well in advance of its actual appearance, led by the designer. I am reasonably confident that you can find in that discussion why it was done as it was, if you care to look."

The IBM-MAIN archives are searchable, here: https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

If you are sufficiently interested, you can find the discussion.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie