On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 07:25:32 -0600, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>Tom Marchant wrote:
>
>>Some time between 1967 and 1970.
>
>I think the limits of 40 or 100 characters were based on a quick way (without
>using tapes or extra punch cards) to give shortish parameters to a program
>using puch cards. Or so it was told to me by an oldie years ago.

My surmise, also.

>Amazing how they worded same things then and now.

When was "dataset" banished in favor of "data set"?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 06:33:42 -0600, Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>When did it change to 100?
>
>Some time between 1967 and 1970.
>
>See page 85 of
>http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/360/os/R19_Jun70/GC28-6704-0_JCL_Reference_Rel_19_Jun70.pdf
>for OS/360, dated June, 1970
>
>See also page 18 of the fifth edition of the OS/360 JCL manual, dated
>March, 1967, where the limit is specified as 40 characters.
>
>http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/360/os/R01-08/C28-6539-4_OS_JCL_Mar67.pdf

Ah!  That shows that (at least at one time) it was possible to increase
the length of the PARM without introducing intolerable incompatibilities.

Where's the PROC statement described?  I find it neither in the ToC nor
in the Index although there are numerous mentions of "catalogued"
proc[edures].  (PROCs aren't catalogued; procedure libraries are.)

I'm curious because others have said (in this forum?) that earliest PROCs
had no arguments; all modification was done by overrides.  So, at that
time symbols didn't exist in JCL, neither as PROC formal parameters nor
in the (relatively recent) SET statment.

-- gil