Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corporation
(919) 341-5210

On 03/09/2017 07:39 PM, Warren Brown wrote:
  I thought it was me . .joined IBM the same day as the 360 was announced
On Thu, 3/9/17, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> wrote:

  Subject: Re: curious: why S/360 & decendants are "big endian".
  To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
  Date: Thursday, March 9, 2017, 7:26 PM
john.archie.mck...@gmail.com
  (John McKown) writes:
  > ​Same in other
  books I've seen. Why? Probably because we write from top
  > bottom. We write the lowest first,
  at the top, and the highest last, at the
  > bottom. And then we confuse everybody by
  calling them "ascending" memory
  > addresses while writing them in a
  descending pattern. English is a _stupid_
  > language.
in the 70s as fullscreen 3270s editors were
  starting to appear, there
  was big editor
  culture wars over up & down.
prior to that, line-editing was from
  perspective of the user ...  "up"
  moving towards the "top" (beginning)
  of the file and "down" was moving
  towards the "bottom" (end) of the
  file.
The side that had
  enhanced previous line editors to support 3270
  fullscreen and preserved the up/down
  orientation (meaning).
  couple of "new" 3270 fullscreen editors, done from
  scratch, insisted
  on "up" was from
  the orientation of the program (not the user), the
  program would move the file up ... towards the
  bottom of the file or
  move the file
  "down" ... towards the top of the file (difference
  was`
  whether up/down was from the human
  perspective or the program/software
  perspective).
--
  virtualization experience
  starting Jan1968, online at home since Mar1970