On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Frank Swarbrick <
frank.swarbr...@outlook.com> wrote:

> There is a true ETL tool component, PowerExchange by Informatica that
> allows the actual ETL Tool (PowerCenter) to read IMS and VSAM files as if
> they were relational tables.  In general I would recommend this, but I
> don't have a sense of the "permanence" of the process you are concerned
> about.  So I don't know that you'd want to invest in such a product for a
> short term need.
>

> Anyway, you basically feed in a COBOL copybook that describes your file
> (or IMS database).  PowerExchange then generates one or more table
> structures that can be queried by PowerCenter.  PowerCenter would use these
> queries to actually load the data in to a true relational database.

​We have that product. And, once again, I am at a lose because the people
who used it on the PC side are gone and nobody knows/wants to learn how to
use it. But I'll present it again as a possibility. We have a lot of
attitude of "that is mainframe. Don't expect me to help you. Oh, and give
me this data in a form that I can use directly, right now."​

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown