patrick.mul...@gwl.ca (Mullen, Patrick) writes:
> We had an IBMer give a presentation a couple weeks back, an update on
> all things z. He mentioned that one of the biggest users of zLinux on
> the planet was ADP, who of course use it for...payroll.

from a recent IBM discussion on OS2 ....

A non-enduser friendly operating system would have later been up against
Linux. One of the reason that prevailed against both m'soft and OS2 in
that market was full source being available. A big (early) uptake for
Linux was cluster supercomputer "GRID" market ... that also evolves into
cloud megadatacenters (claim is that over half of all server chips now
ship directly to cloud megadatacenters, likely contributing to IBM
selling off its server business; cloud megadatacenter claim they
assemble their own systems for 1/3rd the price of brand name
systems). Linux was both "free" ... but also there was lots of need for
full source to adapt the execution model to large cluster scaleup (both
GRID supercomputers and cloud megadatacenters).

recent claim

70% of the total number of "real" computers run linux
10% run msoft
10% run ios
5% run Darwin
5% run other stuff

also embedded & process control industry, autos with ten or more linux
systems, settop boxes, TVs, alarm systems (homes may have 30 linux
systems)