Wow! All I can think of is some high voltage going on in there, like the flyback transformer in an old tube TV. I never heard the one I worked on, like you say probably because of all the machine noise in the tape room.

Pommier, Rex wrote:
Ahh, yes.  The slow refresh rate of the 3290.  I don't know about yours, but we
could not only watch the 3290 repaint the screen top to bottom, but we could
also hear it repaint.  Kind of a quiet rattling or rapid clicking sound during
a refresh.  Couldn't hear it in the machine room, but it was definitely audible
in an office setting.