From: Barbara Nitz
Sent: Tuesday, 6 June 2017 07:43
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: "New" Java-less Operating System Messages blips like crazy

-- This email has reached the Bank via an external source --

>I'm trying to use the new Java-less Operating System Messages console on
>the HMC.  My version is Blippy McBlipperson, which makes it extremely
>difficult to use, because you can't watch it.  As new messages are sent
>to the console, the display collapses and expands at least 10x/sec.
>Anybody else's HMC console behave this way?  If so, what was IBM
>thinking?  We had to submit RFE's to get them to remove Java, do we have
>to submit more requirements to make it usable?

Same here; ever since we got the z13, it is essentially impossible to see NIP
messages because the console doesn't scroll anymore. The first screen fills and
then just blips, no new messages, and no scrollbar. When I reported it, it was
implied that this was due to my 'failure' to use the tree-style interface.

I have resorted to using the 3270 console. Which has the disadvantage that you
cannot scroll back. But at least I see the NIP messages.  After a while (and
after closing the OSM screen and reopening it), the OSM screen actually gets a
scroll bar. Never mind that the buffer is so small that the first messages have
already gone. IBM was unable to tell me how to increase that buffer size.

I am glad that I am not the only one who sees this.

Barbara

Lloyds Banking Group plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ.
Registered in Scotland no. SC95000. Telephone: 0131 225 4555. Lloyds Bank plc.
Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England
and Wales no. 2065. Telephone 0207626 1500. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered
Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000.
Telephone: 03457 801 801. Cheltenham & Gloucester plc. Registered Office:
Barnett Way, Gloucester GL4 3RL. Registered in England and Wales 2299428.
Telephone: 0345 603 1637

Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc are authorised by the Prudential
Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and
Prudential Regulation Authority.

Cheltenham & Gloucester plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Conduct Authority.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Cheltenham & Gloucester Savings
is a division of Lloyds Bank plc.

HBOS plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in
Scotland no. SC218813.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential and may
contain privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender and delete it (including any attachments) immediately. You
must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it or any
attachments. Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.