Thanks to all who responded.  It was indeed Apar OA48941 for Unicode services.
I found it doing a Google search before getting back to the listserv.  I have
applied the fix to our Test LPAR and CSSMTP will now start correctly.  Prior to
last Sunday, we had not IPL'ed our production LPAR since 12/14/2014.  We've
been busy moving to a new PeopleSoft system and have not been keeping the
mainframe up to date. :(  We don't really need to do IPLs even for time changes
anymore.

Thanks again guys!

Vince