On 2017-06-07, at 11:27, Nims,Alva John (Al) wrote:

> This is getting to be like a discussion that was had on the REXX list
> recently, as in it would be nice if there was an available PIPE type of
> command available, oh wait there is:
>
> The product where IBM has made a PIPE command available:
> http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=dd&subtype=sm&htmlfid=897/ENUS5655-D45

That's obsolescent.  It should be brought up to the level of
the current CMS Pipelines, its cousin product.  The right way to
do this is to share as much source code as possible with minimal
system-specific interfaces. But when I suggested this on another
list Alan Altmark (IIRC) insisted that the effort to maintain the
two as separate products is less.  I suspect Alan is overly
devoted to Conway's Law.  I believe HLASM, Binder, SuperC, and
others are supported for both z/OS and CMS from single sources,
much to their benefit.

> Sorting is very simple there:
>       PIPE stem xy. | sort 1 5 | stem yx.
> Or    PIPE < indsn | sort 1 5 | > outdsn

But that's one utility that has been specifically repackaged as
a Pipelines stage.  Rather, what's needed is a more general scheme
for invoking any utility from Pipelines using pipe connectors as
its data sets.

That's impractical on CMS because of the limited (nonexistent?)
support of multiprocessing in CMS.  It should be a better fit in z/OS.

-- gil