The IBM 360 mainframe was designed to process data from other machines
and distribute to them.  Punch cards, Printers, card to tape machines,
RJE machines, 3270 screens / printers.  The PC with 3270 emulator (and
now browser) replaced an I/O device, but also became a storage / user
processing devices (spreadsheets, etc).

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com> wrote:
> R.S. wrote:
>
>>IMHO it was a mistake from the begining.
>>Whenever I asked the question: "what is the difference between zBX and
> regular 19" rack with blade servers" I heard about Ensemble, OSX, OSM, etc.
> Customers do not need ensembles. From customer point of view zBX is just
> rack with servers, but less flexible, vendor locked and more expensive. Even
> IBM did not use zBX for its appliance like IDAA.
>

> The disadvantages you cite are real, for sure, and may have been sufficient
> to kill the concept right there. But the *idea* was that high-impact
> processing could be easily/seamlessly offloaded. The "too late" part is that
> the folks who needed to do that had already bitten the bullet and done so.
> Fifteen years ago, not so much.
>

> I also suspect that fifteen years ago, the gaps-physical, political,
> theological-between z and distributed folks were greater, such that it would
> have been easier for the z folks to justify keeping the data away from those
> squatty-box weenies that they didn't trust. By now, most z folks are
> resigned to their interdependence on those same squatty-box weenies.
>

> .phsiii ("It's a strange world, isn't it?" - Blue Velvet)

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA