> On Sep 24, 2017, at 9:18 PM, Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com> wrote:
>
> We have a staff z/OS systems programmer who claims that:
> "Almost all shops use the SYS3. HLQ to indicate third party software."
>
> So new software installs *have* to follow that "rule". (Past installs did not
> follow such a rule.)
>
> I am thinking that this "rule" is really just *his* rule.
>
> Opinions?
>
> How many other sites follow such a rule?
>
> --
> Tony Thigpen

Tony:

It depends on the oem product. If I  know the history of the product then its
simple issue. Keep the sys3 datasets around for the life of the product. Some
products I just do not trust and I play games with datasets. A *LONG* time ago
I had a vendor that updated this one specific dataset everytime it ran. I did
not want to get write authority to the users. I created a “test.product.update”
and let the people update it. If it got clobbered which it invariable did I
would copy over the sys3 dataset for that product “test.product.update” I won’t
name the product as I had a loathing for them. I kept there midnight called to
a minimum bu doing that.

Ed