On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:44:02 -0400, John Eells wrote:

>I am the one who rejected this requirement.
>Can anyone think of a #5?

HLASM, as an example, prints the PTF level at the top of each listing.

If this is done the simplest (only) way I can envision, it involves replacing
a MOD element containing that string with each PTF.  (I've not examined
the structure of a HLASM PTF.)  Then, by SMP/E rules, each PTF must PRE
all its predecessors.  This imposes a linear ordering of PTFs, a scheme
loathed by some systems programmers who want the liberty to pick and
choose only PTFs addressing problems they're actually suffering.

-- gil