Vignesh Sankaranarayanan wrote:
>1.  If a machine is rated at, for example, 655 MSUs, does this mean that
>it can go on up to 655 total MSUs in an hour or 655 at any instant

It can run at 655 MSUs for any length of time the machine is running.

As an analogy, imagine that you have an engine that is capable of running
at up to 2700 revolutions per minute (RPMs) continuously. (Some aircraft
engines are exactly like this.) That means you can run the engine for 5
seconds at that rated speed, 5 minutes, or 5 hours. As long as you have
enough fuel, I suppose. But it's all still at the same maximum output over
that period of time: 2700 RPMs.

Now, just because the propeller is spinning at 2700 RPMs doesn't
necessarily mean it's doing *useful* work or generating any particular
amount of real-world output (thrust). That's a separate concept. If the
airplane engine is bolted to a stationary test stand, for example, there's
no flight happening. That's also true of mainframes and MSUs. Those MSUs
can be spent running a mission critical sort job, or processing credit card
transactions, or Tweeting lines from Shakespeare's plays, or all of the
above concurrently. Whether those particular workloads are "useful" is a
separate question.

Extending the analogy, some engines have a rated time limit at certain
output levels, so they might allow 2800 RPMs for up to 5 minutes, up to
2600 RPMs otherwise. In aircraft engines that's fairly common, and it's
usually called "maximum takeoff power" or something like that. In z/OS a
broadly similar concept is possible, colloquially called a "softcap."

Water, oil, and gas pipelines are conceptually similar. They allow a
maximum flow rate, in liters per minute for example, and you can send up to
that flow rate through the pipeline for any length of time -- for 5
seconds, for 5 hours, for 5 years, assuming the pipeline is in good
operating condition. It's all the same basic idea.

>2.  If a vendor's license says, "you can run it on cpu xyz", and the
>contract says 500 MSUs, does this again mean an hourly 500 total MSUs
>or 500 at any given instant.

Unless the contract is quite unusual, it *probably* means the same thing as
above, but that's perhaps for courts and lawyers to decide if there's a
dispute. And it's possible that the vendor has their own, separate
definition for "MSUs." You could always ask the vendor, of course.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com