On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:38 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/10/2017 8:25 PM, John McKown wrote:
>
>> NetRexx was born at IBM Hursley in 1995 at the hands of REXX's father,
>>> Mike
>>> Cowlishaw. It is the world's first alternative language for JVMs. The
>>> REXX
>>> Language Association's members and contributors actively maintain
>>> NetRexx.
>>> The latest release as I write this is Version 3.05 (April 27, 2017), and
>>> the Version 3.06 beta was released on April 28, 2017. Mike is still
>>> actively involved in the NetRexx community.
>>>
>>> ​I have NetREXX installed. But, as Mr. Crayford indicated, it is not a
>> replacement for TSO REXX in a TSO environment. I have, on occasion, used
>> it
>> to write a "batch" program or a UNIX command line program. I can't do this
>> much here because we are MSU constrained and don't have an zIIP (or zAAP)
>> on our z9BC. ​So I get "dinged" if I show up on my boss's MSU radar
>>

> Right! But if you had a JIT compiled classic REXX it would save you
> money!  But that won't happen. For starters it would need to be a rewrite
> in C++ with a VM. It's no secret I'm a Lua fan and it interested me that an
> IBM JIT developer has an experimental project that JIT enables Lua 5.3
> using OMR https://github.com/Leonardo2718/lua-vermelha. I could use that
> to "supercharge" Lua on z/OS. But there just doesn't seem to be much
> appetite for new languages on z/OS. Old dogs new tricks I suppose.

​I would guess that the lack of interest in new languages on z/OS is due to
two main reasons.

The first is that most z/OS programmers are rather old. They are most
likely programmers, not because they love to program, but because it pays
well. And they are also most likely looking forward to retirement. ​So they
are pretty much in a "stasis" mode. I am going to be 65 in December, so I'm
getting towards retirement. I got into programming because I was (and
generally still am) in love with programming itself. So I _love_ learning
new things. Which, in today's world, I direct onto my Linux/Intel system.

The second reason is company management. As far as I can see, with perhaps
a few exceptions, they simply view the IBMZ with z/OS as "obsolete". They
keep around only because they don't want to face the cost of doing a good
conversion to some other platform. That cost & difficulty is what caused
our manage to reverse course on our "cloud sourcing" the z/OS processing
via an outsourcer.

And, perhaps a third reason is that acquiring and running "language X" on
z/OS ends up being much more expensive than acquiring and running the same
"language X" (say Python, or PHP) on Linux or even Windows.

I just child proofed my house.
But the kids still manage to get in.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown