From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
retired mainframer <retired-mainfra...@q.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:42 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: How to use master catalog as user catalog in another system

If you copied the product datasets from a SYSA volume to a SYSB volume and then
attempt to use the SYSA catalog to access them from SYSB, you will end up
accessing the datasets on the SYSA volume.  Since you went through the effort
to copy them, I assume this is not desirable.

Without specifying a vol-ser on all your DD statements, the only way to access
the datasets on the SYSB volume is to have catalog entries that point to the
SYSB volume.  You can use ISPF 3.4 to list the datasets on the SYSB volume and
issue the appropriate ISPF or IDCAMS commands to create those catalog entries
in the SYSB catalog.

As others have pointed out, it is a good idea to restrict the master catalog to
system datasets and place product and user datasets in one or more user
catalogs.  However, unless you want SYSB to access the datasets on the SYSA
volume, this would have no effect on your current effort.  It does not matter
if the catalog entry for a dataset is in the master or a user catalog. If the
entry points to a SYSA volume, any allocation that uses that catalog entry will
find the dataset on the SYSA volume.

There are way for a catalog entry to point to different volumes based on which
system is performing the allocation (for example, using a system symbol for the
volume) but that is a whole new discussion.