When I started working in the field, 1979, they had a couple of 2305
devices attached to a 3033 processor. They used it for PLPA and COMMON
paging devices if I remember correctly.

Mark Jacobs

> Joel C. Ewing <mailto:jcew...@acm.org>
> December 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM
> No, not the  same.
>
> From the description of the physical characteristics of the 3380 & 3390,
> it was clear that each actuator accessed independent platter surfaces.
> The R/W heads on different actuators did not access the same physical
> surface much less the same physical track.
>
> The 3380 & 3390 hard drive modules each contained two functionally
> independent hard drives within a single module.  Putting platters for
> both in one module housing reduced costs and size by allowing platters
> for two drives to have a shared drive shaft, shared  bearings, and a
> shared drive motor.
>
> The Seagate design description clearly indicates  two R/W heads
> accessing the same physical track.  That sounds like they can at a
> minimum be used to cut rotational latency time in half, and maybe (not
> clear) even read or write different parts of the same track at the same
> time with the potential for doing a full-track transfer in only 1/2
> revolution of the disk.  If both are true, they have effectively doubled
> the peak transfer rate of the drive and cut the latency time in half
> without having to increase either the density or rotational speed of the
> device.
>     Joel C Ewing
>
> On 12/20/2017 07:31 AM, Vernooij, Kees (ITOPT1) - KLM wrote:
> > The 3380 (3390 also?) had the same, one pack of disks with 2
> independent actuators on each side, representing 2 volumes.
> >
> > Kees.

Time Customer Service
Global Technology Services

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.
Lt. Gen. David Morrison