The (current - z/OS 2.3) "z/OS Communications Server: IP Sockets
Application Programming Interface Guide and Reference"
still contains a diagram that hasn't changed for at least ten years,
despite a long ago RFC and discussion with the tech writers:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.hala001/socketlib.htm

It shows the Pascal API as the only one that doesn't use the UNIX
"BPX" sockets API for its underlying services. Whether this diagram is
still close to correct, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if the
Pascal API now talks to the BPX layer, rather than having a private
lower level interface to TCP/IP transport services.

Tony H.