Yeah, what Charles Mills said :-).  He's a lot less lazy than me when
it comes to writing stuff out.

C++ *is* a superset of C, and it does provide several useful
enhancements (e.g. new/delete vs. malloc/free), but that's not what it
was invented for.  It was invented to allow object-oriented
programming, and that is a whole new paradigm (game-changer as it
were).  And I agree that it is a great thing (and fun) to learn and
do.  But prepare for considerable mental effort to get there.  btw, it
seems to me that C++ has been extended much further since I did much
work with it.  Probably it's like C++++ now.

I don't know much about C# (call it "see pound" to impress people*),
but Java was invented (purportedly anyway) as a safer C++, and
likewise, basically forces object-oriented programming.  I get the
feeling that C# was just microsoft's attempt to keep Java (Sun) from
taking over too much mind-share.

sas

*I didn't say it would be a good impression ;-)