The old goto chestnut drops again.

*Considered harmful* is a part of a phrasal template
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrasal_template> used in the titles of at
least 65 critical essays in computer science
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science> and related disciplines.[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Considered_harmful#cite_note-1> Its use in
this context originated in 1968 with Edsger Dijkstra
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsger_Dijkstra>'s letter "Go To Statement
Considered Harmful".'t the originator of "goto considered harmful".

I thought Michael Jackson defused it well it the 1970s with his structured
programming book and methods. GOTO was absolutely necessary in many cases.

I'll posit that most will agree and admit that some won't.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 17/01/2018 3:19 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:51:55 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>>
>> That's a common beginners' mistake. Try putting the label inside a do
>>> block and see what happens. A proper goto would pop what needs to be popped
>>> and no more. See <http://www.rexxla.org/Newsletter/9812safe.html>.
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>
>> There I also read:
>>      Continuation
>>          REXX allows implicit continuation; a statement is treated as
>> continued if it
>>          would otherwise be syntactically invalid.  ...
>> ???
>> Not in any Rexx I know.  Is this perhaps a peculiarity of OS/2 Rexx?
>>
>> And C has an improper GOTO.  It allows branching into a block.  It's
>> implementation
>> dependent whether initializations are performed then.  Ugh!
>>

> If you don't like those semantics don't use goto. My ROT is to only use
> goto for branching to error handlers or cleanup routines.
>
> If you look at the Linux kernel code including s390 you will see lots of
> goto statements used just for that purpose. It's amusing to read threads
> about what the maintainers think about this subject
> http://koblents.com/Ches/Links/Month-Mar-2013/20-Using-Goto-
> in-Linux-Kernel-Code/.

Wayne V. Bickerdike