Also, for consideration, might there also be "frequency of reference", such as
security (ACF2, RACF, etc.) and/or DB2 TRACE (SMF 102 types) -- both of which
may require near real-time access directly from the SMF Logstream, as well as
after the SMF historical offload occurs?

Maintaining separate SMF recording/offloading by SMF type provides the
opportunity for SMS-managed historical data-capture, as a retention-limit.

For a client/site we support, SMF Logstreams are defined/managed by CA SMF
DIRECTOR using zEDC (8-to-1 compression typical) with DFHSM-managed historical
(ML0->ML2 directly) data, for up to 5 years -- again, based on SMF type, as
follows:

- DFLT -- all types other than below mentioned,
- CICS / SMFT110 -- includes both CICS CMF and STATISTICS,
- DB2 / T101 -- DB2 ACCOUNTING,
- DB2 / T102 -- DB2 TRACE,
- ACF2 -- security logging events,
- WAS / SMFT120 -- includes WAS and WAS/ODM subtypes,
- MQ / SMFT116 -- excludes SMF Types 115 and 117 (IIB),
- IDMS / T254

And with CA SMF DIRECTOR software deployed, one need not know where an SMF type
/ recorded-date/time resides, only specify the EXTRACT statement with the
system (or ALL), type/subtype, date/date/time-range) and the software takes
care of finding the requested historical data (accomplished via dynamic
allocation, no JCL-DD coding).

SMF historical data retention limits are also managed by the software. The
software also controls awareness with BEFORE/AFTER MAN-to-Logstream migration,
again not requiring the end-user to know where to find SMF type/subtype, etc.
Very effective with simplifying and streamlining SMF data management, while
maintaining auditability and access-limit compliance -- tracking what SMF data
was recorded, offloaded, when, and who has approved access (via
program-limitation with security-rules).

Regards,

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.