Primary space management should normally process all volumes in a storage
group. And PSM should normally look to reduce utilisation of a volume down
to the low threshold (caveat - various PATCHes can alter DFHSM standard
behaviour).
Have you checked the messages for space management actions for these
datasets?
It could be that they need to be backed-up before being expired, and
auto-backup may not be running against that SG (as an example of a
condition that could potentially give rise to what you are seeing).
Or another possibility is that they cant be backed up, because, for
example, they may have a null DSORG.  If they cant be backed-up, and the
management class says they must be backed up, then DFHSM will not expire
them until they are backed up.

The above may not precisely match what you are experiencing, but it may
perhaps point you in a better direction.