Yaniv,
  You're mixing up listerv and newsgroup. Different animals. If you want to
read ibm-main as email, then you would register an email address and all
the posts to the listserv will be forwarded to your private email account.
You wouldn't configure Thunderbird to use listserv.ua.edu at all, you'd
just use your personal email account.
  If you want to read the posts using Thunderbird as a news reader, then
you also won't use listserv.ua.edu, but instead setup a news server account
(your ISP either provides one, or you can use one of the for-fee servers
or I think there still might be some free ones around) and then subscribe
to the bit.listserv.ibm-main newsgroup.

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513