Seems like a really good question... you would think that there would be a
pointer somewhere.

This is kind of a hack, but you could spawn /bin/env with no arguments and
redirect the output to an anonymous pipe and then read that into a buffer.
The output with be  a repeated stream of "KEY=VALUE\n"

The services would be:

BPX1PIP  - pipe() to create an unnamed pipe
BPX1SPN - spawn("/bin/env"....) direct stout to pipe write fd, stdin and
stderr to nothing (SPAWN_FDCLOSED).
BPX1OPN - open the input side of the pipe
BPX1RED* - repeatedly read the pipe until eof
BPX1CLO   - close

Assuming that your program is not authorized, I suggest you
set INHEMUSTBELOCAL in the inheritance structure for BPX1SPN so that
/bin/env will be run in the same address space, which will be a little
cheaper/quicker.

You might also want to ask this on mvs-asm370.  There are some guys there
that think that assembler is better than C for everything.  They may have a
better answer than this :-)

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com