On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> ​<snip>
>

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:25:11 -0500, John McKown wrote:
> >
> >​    ... If you will look
> >at the UNIX exec() function, BPX1EXC, you will see that the invoker _must_
> >set up the environment variables to be passed to the executed program.
> >Exactly where this data area resides is not specified. That is, it could
> be
> >"hard coded" in the executable, or in dynamic storage. And, for all that I
> >know, the BPX1EXC processing could copy this data into an entirely
> >different area. ...
> >
> Or even perform EBCDIC<==>ASCII translation depending on characteristics
> of the invoked program?

​The ASCII support, as best as I can tell, is strictly a C language
invention. I.e. there is nothing similar for Fortran, PL/I, or COBOL. So I
would bet that the C run time initialisation ​logic creates the ASCII
environment variables from the ones passed into the exec() function. But
that is strictly a guess. IMO, use of C language ASCII support is the lazy
man's way to "port" existing UNIX programs to z/OS. Not that I have
anything against "lazy".

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown