rob.schr...@gmail.com (Rob Schramm) writes:
> Seems like there is a drift about security and walls.. interesting article
> I found about walls when reading Cryptograms...
>
> https://warontherocks.com/2018/02/wall-wall-fortresses-fail/

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2018c.html#9 Graph database on z/OS?

possibly more than you ever wanted to know, in part because of doing
electronic commerce, was sucked into financial standards, financial
industry critical infrastructure protection, and other efforts, like
doing some work with these guys (but from 2004)

Electronic Safety and Soundness Securing Finance in a New Age
http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/756761468778791728/pdf/284050PAPER0WBWP026.pdf

This monograph presents a four pillar framework for policymakers in
emerging markets to use in designing responses to the challenge of
assuring electronic safety and soundness of their financial systems. As
such, this paper is focused in part on technological solutions, but more
importantly on the incentives of the many parties involved in assuring
the security of critical infrastructures--from telecommunications and
financial sector service providers to the government and even to the
many final consumers of financial or other services.

... snip ...

we had been also brought in to help wordsmith some cal. state
legislation, they were working on electronic signature, data breach
notification, and opt-in privacy. several entities involved in privacy
were involved and had done detailed, in-depth public surveys on privacy
and the #1 issue was identity theft, specifically the form involving
various breaches that resulted in fraudulent financial transactions.

A problem was that little or nothing was being done about these breaches
(except trying to keep them out of the news). A major issue is that
entities take security measures in self protection ... the problem with
the breaches was that the institutions weren't at risk, it was the
public ... so they had little motivation. It was hoped that the
publicity from the data breach notifications might motivate institutions
to take security measures.

that and a combination of other things resulted in doing financial
transaction standard that slightly tweaked the current infrastructure
...  and eliminated criminals ability to use information from previous
transactions obtained in breaches for doing fraudulent transactions
(form of replay attack) ... it didn't prevent breaches, but eliminated
risk from (and major motivation for doing) breaches.

two (other) problems: 1) "security proportional to risk": value of
transaction information to merchant can be a few dollars (and a few
cents to transaction processors), the value of the information to
criminals can be the account balance (or credit limit) ... as a result
criminals may be able to outspend by factor of 100 times attacking (than
defenders can afford to spend) and 2) "dual use": transaction
information is used for both authentication and dozens of business
processes at millions of locations around the world ... as a result it
has to be both kept absolutely secure and never divulged and
simultaneously readily available.

for various reasons there are numerous stakeholders with vested
interests in preserving the status quo.

from the law of unintended consequences ... "SSL" for electronic
commerce (worked on earlier) was used to hide financial transaction
information during transmission. the "tweak" eliminates the need to hide
the information ... whether in transmission or "at rest".