> On Apr 1, 2018, at 1:22 AM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Edward Gould wrote:
>> Would it even fit on a mod54?
>
> A Mod54 is about 54GB uncompressed, whereas a DVD disk can hold up to 9.4GB
> (dual layer DVD-RAM at least). I don't recall if the HMC supports dual
> layer DVD disks, but if not (worst case) then the maximum per disk would be
> 4.7GB uncompressed. Unless the particular Mod54 can be compressed quite a
> lot, it won't fit on a single DVD.
>
> A Mod9 would always fit on a dual layer disk and, at about 2:1 compression,
> on a single layer disk.
>
>> I am still puzzled on how you get this from the PC to the mainframe.
>
> This particular path (HMC DVD with FTP) has no intermediate PC or other
> system of any kind in the loop, for those who don't want that. This path
> I'm describing is straight from DVD media to z/OS storage.
>
>> Our computer room is very secure. I am not even allowed to touch
>> the HMC without a VP looking over my shoulder....
>
> Sure, pick your security (or "security" theatrical) poison. It's up to you
> and your organization. The request was for a way to receive z/OS products
> from IBM on physical media and to load them into z/OS, without an
> intermediate system such as a PC and without a network connection. It sure
> seems like that distribution path is already available, today. IBM can ship
> you DVDs, and you can load them via the HMC, to my knowledge. (Throughput?
> I don't know. Try it and let us know!)
>
> ....Or, I should say, via *any* HMC. You aren't limited to one HMC. For
> example, you can order two HMCs, put one inside your machine room, and put
> the other outside the machine room. Configure the latter with more limited
> authorized capabilities, and load your DVDs into that HMC. Mount the second
> HMC in a locked cabinet with dual keys if you wish -- whatever. Your
> "Mainframe Media Insertion Station" is then physically easier to access,
> without entering the machine room. All possible, as you prefer.
>
> I prefer/recommend electronic delivery with digitally signed software, but
> you've got choices.
>
> What am I still missing?

You are probably not missing anything. I think its me that is missing something.
I get from you that you do “something” on the HMC (something about a FTP
server) I haven’t see it but it may be hidden I don’t use the HMC but maybe
once a year.
If you are saying you FTP what is on the DVD to the FTP started task on the MF
I guess I am OK (but have questions) with that. The sticking point I am at is
how does the FTP server on the MF even know about the HMC server? *assuming its
magic* then does the FTP server on the HMC transmit the data to the FTP server
on the MF (How????) and how does the FTP server on the MF know where to put the
files that are downloaded and what naming conventions are used and what if you
do not like them?\
I need a intro or something to explain to me what is going on so I can explain
it to management as I am not understanding the slight of hand that is going on.
Since apparently I need access to swap DVD’s as they are done how long
(estimated) does it take? The reason I ask is that I have to have  VP with me
when I go near the HMC. I am sure he is not going to be happy sitting with me
for hours on end.
Sorry to be so pedantic  but before I run this up the flag pole I need some
basic information.
Ed