On 12 April 2018 at 14:17, Thomas David Rivers <riv...@dignus.com> wrote:
> I've got this handy-dandy little ESTAE exit, and I'd like
> to invoke the BPX SIGACTION function.
>
> But - within the ESTAE EXIT, when I invoke BPX SIGACTION
> I get a return value of -1, return code of 157 and reason code
> of X'0D14018A'.
>
> Return code 157 is EMVSERR indicating "An MVS environmental
> or internal error has occurred."   Nothing showed up on the system
> console or in my TSO session...
>
> I didn't find a reason in the doc why BPX SIGACTION couldn't
> be invoked from an ESTAE EXIT...  but... perhaps someone here
> knows more?

I don't know any more, but the reason code explanation is a bit more
enlightening:

"Reason(0D14018A) JRBadRBState: The caller's request block state was
incorrect
Action: A function was requested that requires the user to be running
under the same request block that its thread was created under or from
which it issued the signal setup service (BPX1MSS).  The condition is
probably the result of issuing a request block-sensitive service after
a link was done."

So pretty much what Binyamin said. If it doesn't mention this
limitation in the Callable Services book then it's RCF time.

Presumably you could retry in the ESTAE with a suitable flag set to
issue the SIGACTION upon return to the right RB.

Tony H.