From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 10:18 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: AW: DFSMSdss dump fix after binary transfer

[External Email]

>A colleague has made a logical data set DUMP of important data and downloaded
>to his PC in binary (by mistake, without additional steps). As expected, after
>uploading from PC to z/OS, the format is broken, and ADRDSSU doesn't recognize
>the DUMP (uploaded as blksize=27998, lrecl=0, recfm=u).

>Any recovery ideas for this situation, how to recover the PC data to a
>RESTORE-able dataset? :)

The problem is that DSS Dumps are RECFM=U, and each block may have a different
length, up to the maximum (usually half track). This is why DSS does not accept
the dump after retransmitting back to z/OS (in binary, of course).

I don't know if the format of the dump records is documented (outside of IBM),
but looking at an (uncompressed) DSS dump data set, the individual blocks seem
to be of format

o Bytes 1-4 is the binary number of the record (block) within the dump data set.
o Bytes 5-6 are maybe some flags. I see mostly x'0101', but also x'0202'.
o Bytes 7-8 seems to be the number of bytes in this block including this field
and the 6 bytes ahead.

So to recover as a last resort, if you're desperate, you would need to

o upload in binary as RECFM=U to z/OS.
o read the RECFM=U blocks, e.g. with REXX o rebuild the original blocks using
the information above o write the new RECFM=U blocks

All of this is untested.

--
Peter Hunkeler

--
Peter Hunkeler

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or
the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this
e-mail message from your computer.