dcrayf...@gmail.com (David Crayford) writes:
> Great story. You should add some content to the Wikipedia page
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_migration.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2018c.html#77 z/VM Live Guest Relocation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2018c.html#78 z/VM Live Guest Relocation

need to get people from the two virtual machine based commercial online
service bureaus (spin-offs from the science center) One was done by
co-op student that worked for me on cp67 at the science center ...  and
then went to service bureau when he graduated (trivia: a couple years
earlier, the same service bureau tried to hire me when I was an
undergraudate, but when I graduated, I went to the science center
instead).

past posts mentioning science center, 4th flr, 545 tech sq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

trivia: HONE had availability issues 1st shift was with all branch
office people using the systems ... but wasn't concerned about 7x24
offshift service .... so they didn't have to worry about "live guest
relocation" as work around to standard mainframe downtime for service
and maintenance (evenings and weekends). posts mentioning HONE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

other trivia: my wife had been in the gburg JES group and was part of
the ASP "catcher" team turning ASP into JES3. She was then con'ed into
going to POK to be in charge of loosely-coupled architecture (mainframe
for cluster). While there she did peer-coupled shared data architecture
... past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#shareddata

she didn't remain long ... in part because of 1) little uptake (except
for IMS hot-standby until much later sysplex & parallel sysplex) and 2)
constant battles with the communication group trying to force her into
using SNA/VTAM for loosely-coupled operation.

much later we do high availability rs/6000 HA/CMP (cluster,
loosely-coupled) product ... but we still have lots of battles with the
communication group and other mainframe groups.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp