Is there an API that will allow my program to establish the maximum number of
member generations defined to a PDSE version 2 data set (via MAXGENS)?

I have found a SHARE presentation that states this information is stored in the
PDSE itself.

The ISITMGD macro will get the PDSE version and also indicates whether that
PDSE is enabled for member generations. Unfortunately, it does not get the
maximum number of generations supported by the PDSE.

From what I've gathered from my Google searches, I'm beginning to suspect that
this information is only available via FAMS.

Nick