Steve Cross wrote:
I have inherited a z/OS 1.13 system that has not had any maintenance applied
since mid-2015 and I need to bring it up to date before upgrading to 2.2
(ordered ready for installation). All but one of the required
toleration/fall-back ptfs have been applied. Is it safe just to order
maintenance excluding superseded ptfs ? I was thinking of the size of the
download and subsequent RECEIVE / APPLY.

Whatever PTFs you get, the size of the order will in all probability still be a *lot* smaller than a z/OS ServerPac order. Also, SMP/E won't put on the superceded PTFs and then the superceding PTFs; it's very good at figuring it all out and then putting on only what's needed in the right order. Finally, if one or more superceding PTFs are PE with no available resolving PTF, installing the superceded PTFs might prevent problems you would otherwise experience.

I'm firmly in the camp of "APPLY SOURCEID(RSU*,PRP,HIPER,SECINT) GEXT and let SMP/E sort 'em all out."

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie